Director’s Corner: The Gift of Accomplishment

Samir N. Khleif, MD Samir N. Khleif, MD
Director, GRU Cancer Center

“Great things are done when men and mountains meet.” — William Blake

Recently, I celebrated my third anniversary as the Director of the GRU Cancer Center. While I was happy to let the moment slide by with a minimum of fanfare, I feel like there is some celebrating in order – not for me, but for you

You see, three years ago we were in a very different place. The GRU Cancer Center, as it exists today was much more goal than reality and getting us to this point required the investment, engagement and efforts of more people than I care to count and none more than the Cancer Center’s doctors, scientists, health care professionals and administrative leaders.

Together we have done great things. We have treated the most difficult cases. We have made significant scientific breakthroughs. We continue to attract talent from around the world that wants to be part of our evolving success story. And while we often talk about goals – designation, increased reach and treatment opportunities and the development of innovative new programs, for instance – the truth is we are all always working toward something singular

We are working to improve, for this community and beyond, every day.

That, for me, is the greatest of anniversary gifts.

Written by
Allison Brown
View all articles
Written by Allison Brown

About Jagwire

Jagwire is the official source for news and stories from Augusta University and AU Health. Daily updates highlight the many ways students, faculty, staff, researchers and clinicians "bring their A games" in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state of Georgia. Read on for stories of innovation in education and health care, opportunities at the center of Georgia’s new cybersecurity hub, and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities and the health sciences. Have a story to share with Jaguar Nation? Contact the Division of Communications & Marketing.