Also New to the Cancer Center
|So you say you want a resolution…
“We see in order to move; we move in order to see.”— William Gibson
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the word resolution, but not for the reasons you might expect. While I certainly favor the New Year’s tradition of promises made and kept, the New Year has found me pondering another of this multifaceted word’s definitions – the fineness of distinguishable detail.
Most often, this refers to the clarity of digital or print images. But I believe this application of the word resolution can be applied to the Cancer Center as well.
As we move into a new year – and my third as Director – I believe we are able to see the GRU Cancer Center, its mission and the roles each of us will play in its continued evolution with more clarity.
And, as we continue toward our goals, toward what I know will be something extraordinary, I believe the picture will become clearer still. Every scientific and clinical success – those moments large and small that happen here every day – bring us one step closer to that clarity we all strive for.
I, for one, can see it clearly. I hope you can as well.
- Preventing and Treating Cervical Cancer in Peru
You may have noted the teal green and white ribbon flags hanging from the GRU Cancer Center. Although these ribbons are not as commonly recognized as the pink ribbons of breast cancer, in most resource poor countries, cervical cancer is actually more common than breast cancer. >> Continue reading.
- Upcoming Events for Graduate Students, Fellows, and Postdocs
Save the dates for the first-ever Cancer Biology Trainee Town Hall and Graduate School 30th Annual Graduate Research Day. >> Continue reading.
- GRU Cancer Center Luncheon Made for Happier Holidays
The GRU Cancer Center and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society jointly sponsored the inaugural Blood Cancer Conference for patients, their families and their caregivers…Continue reading.
- David H. Munn, MD, received an R01 subcontract from LSU Health System for $36K annually for “Metabolic approaches to treat severe viral and inflammatory diseases.”
- Justin Choi, PhD, received an R01 subcontract from Mayo Clinic for $24K annually for “Developmental Pathways, Environmental Agents, and Epigenetics in Liver Disease.”
- Betty Pace, MD, received $178K over 2 years from Mast Therapeutics, Inc for “MST-188-01: Evaluation of Purified Poloxamer 188 in Children in Crisis (EPIC): A Phase 3 Randomized, Double blind, Placebo-Controlled Multicenter Trial of MST-188.”
- Jeremy Pantin, MBBS, received $152K over 2 years from ParinGenix, Inc for “A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Safety and Preliminary Evidence of an Effect of ODSH (2-O, 3-O Desulfated Heparin) in Accelerating Platelet Recovery in Patients Receiving Induction or Consolidation Therapy for Acute Myeloid Leukemia.”
- IDO2 is critical for IDO1-mediated T cell regulation and exerts a non-redundant function in inflammation. Metz R, Smith C, Duhadaway JB, Chandler P, Baban B, Merlo LM, Pigott E, Keough MP, Rust S, Mellor AL, Mandik-Nayak L, J Muller A, Prendergast GC. Int Immunol. 2014 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24402311
- Comparative analysis of sodium coupled vitamin C transporter 2 in human osteoarthritis grade 1 and grade 3 tissues. Blackburn AR 2nd, Hamrick MW, Chutkan N, Sangani R, Waller JL, Corpe R, Prasad PD, Isales CM, Ganapathy V, Fulzele S. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014 Jan 8;15(1):9. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24401033
- Combinatorial Immunotherapy of Polyinosinic-Polycytidylic Acid and Blockade of Programmed Death-1 Induces Effective CD8 T Cell Responses against Established Tumors. Nagato T, Lee YR, Harabuchi Y, Celis E. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Jan 3. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24389326
- MBD3 Localizes at Promoters, Gene Bodies and Enhancers of Active Genes. Shimbo T, Du Y, Grimm SA, Dhasarathy A, Mav D, Shah RR, Shi H, Wade PA. PLoS Genet. 2013 Dec;9(12):e1004028. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1004028. Epub 2013 Dec 26. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24385926
- IgG4-related leptomeningitis: A reversible cause of rapidly progressive cognitive decline. Mehta SH, Switzer JA, Biddinger P, Rojiani AM. Neurology. 2014 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24384648
- An essential role for heat shock transcription factor binding protein 1 (HSBP1) during early embryonic development. Eroglu B, Min JN, Zhang Y, Szurek E, Moskophidis D, Eroglu A, Mivechi NF. Dev Biol. 2013 Dec 28. pii: S0012-1606(13)00700-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2013.12.038. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24380799
- Evaluation of STAT3 Signaling in ALDH+ and ALDH+/CD44+/CD24- Subpopulations of Breast Cancer Cells. Lin L, Hutzen B, Lee HF, Peng Z, Wang W, Zhao C, Lin HJ, Sun D, Li PK, Li C, Korkaya H, Wicha MS, Lin J. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 23;8(12):e82821. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082821. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24376586
- The niacin/butyrate receptor GPR109A suppresses mammary tumorigenesis by inhibiting cell survival. Elangovan S, Pathania R, Ramachandran S, Ananth S, Padia RN, Lan L, Singh N, Martin PM, Hawthorn L, Prasad PD, Ganapathy V, Thangaraju M. Cancer Res. 2013 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24371223
- Cell cycle-regulated membrane binding of NuMA contributes to efficient anaphase chromosome separation. Zheng Z, Wan Q, Meixiong G, Du Q. Mol Biol Cell. 2013 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24371089
- Antibodies to heteromeric glycolipid complexes in guillain-barré syndrome. Rinaldi S, Brennan KM, Kalna G, Walgaard C, van Doorn P, Jacobs BC, Yu RK, Mansson JE, Goodyear CS, Willison HJ. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 16;8(12):e82337. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082337. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24358172
- Par1b Induces Asymmetric Inheritance of Plasma Membrane Domains via LGN-Dependent Mitotic Spindle Orientation in Proliferating Hepatocytes. Slim CL, Lázaro-Diéguez F, Bijlard M, Toussaint MJ, de Bruin A, Du Q, Müsch A, van Ijzendoorn SC. PLoS Biol. 2013 Dec;11(12):e1001739. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1001739. Epub 2013 Dec 17. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24358023
- Anatomic Analysis Specific for the Endoscopic Approach to the Inferior, Medial and Lateral Orbit. Van Rompaey J, Bush C, Solares CA. Orbit. 2013 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24354626
- Modulation of bone morphogenic protein signaling in T-cells for cancer immunotherapy. Kuczma M, Kurczewska A, Kraj P. J Immunotoxicol. 2013 Dec 19. [Epub ahead of print] >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24350726
- The Histone H3 Methyltransferase G9A Epigenetically Activates the Serine-Glycine Synthesis Pathway to Sustain Cancer Cell Survival and Proliferation. Ding J, Li T, Wang X, Zhao E, Choi JH, Yang L, Zha Y, Dong Z, Huang S, Asara JM, Cui H, Ding HF. Cell Metab. 2013 Dec 3;18(6):896-907. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2013.11.004. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24315373
- Regulation of Spine Formation by ErbB4 in PV-Positive Interneurons. Yin DM, Sun XD, Bean JC, Lin TW, Sathyamurthy A, Xiong WC, Gao TM, Chen YJ, Mei L. J Neurosci. 2013 Dec 4;33(49):19295-303. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2090-13.2013. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24305825
- Metabolic control of tumour progression and antitumour immunity. Huang L, Mellor AL. Curr Opin Oncol. 2014 Jan;26(1):92-9. doi: 10.1097/CCO.0000000000000035. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24305570
- Etoposide selectively ablates activated T cells to control the immunoregulatory disorder hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Johnson TS, Terrell CE, Millen SH, Katz JD, Hildeman DA, Jordan MB. J Immunol. 2014 Jan 1;192(1):84-91. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1302282. Epub 2013 Nov 20. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24259502
- GCN2-Dependent Metabolic Stress Is Essential for Endotoxemic Cytokine Induction and Pathology. Liu H, Huang L, Bradley J, Liu K, Bardhan K, Ron D, Mellor AL, Munn DH, McGaha TL. Mol Cell Biol. 2014 Feb;34(3):428-38. doi: 10.1128/MCB.00946-13. Epub 2013 Nov 18. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24248597
- Growing an epidermal tumor. Bollag WB, Isales CM. J Invest Dermatol. 2013 Dec;133(12):2659-62. doi: 10.1038/jid.2013.350. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24216781
- Betaine acts on a ligand-gated ion channel in the nervous system of the nematode C. elegans. Peden AS, Mac P, Fei YJ, Castro C, Jiang G, Murfitt KJ, Miska EA, Griffin JL, Ganapathy V, Jorgensen EM. Nat Neurosci. 2013 Dec;16(12):1794-801. doi: 10.1038/nn.3575. Epub 2013 Nov 10.>> Go to Abstract: PMID:24212673
- Antibodies against low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 4 induce myasthenia gravis. Shen C, Lu Y, Zhang B, Figueiredo D, Bean J, Jung J, Wu H, Barik A, Yin DM, Xiong WC, Mei L. J Clin Invest. 2013 Dec 2;123(12):5190-202. doi: 10.1172/JCI66039. Epub 2013 Nov 8. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24200689
- PRECEDENT: A Randomized Phase II Trial Comparing Vintafolide (EC145) and Pegylated Liposomal Doxorubicin (PLD) in Combination Versus PLD Alone in Patients With Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer. Naumann RW, Coleman RL, Burger RA, Sausville EA, Kutarska E, Ghamande SA, Gabrail NY, Depasquale SE, Nowara E, Gilbert L, Gersh RH, Teneriello MG, Harb WA, Konstantinopoulos PA, Penson RT, Symanowski JT, Lovejoy CD, Leamon CP, Morgenstern DE, Messmann RA. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Dec 10;31(35):4400-6. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.49.7685. Epub 2013 Oct 14. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24127448
- Epigenetic activation of mouse ganglioside synthase genes: implications for neurogenesis. Tsai YT, Yu RK. J Neurochem. 2014 Jan;128(1):101-10. doi: 10.1111/jnc.12456. Epub 2013 Oct 23. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24102378
- Tubular injury marker netrin-1 is elevated early in experimental diabetes. White JJ, Mohamed R, Jayakumar C, Ramesh G. J Nephrol. 2013 Dec 5;26(6):1055-64. doi: 10.5301/jn.5000303. Epub 2013 Aug 7. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24052471
- Differential long-term effects of haloperidol and risperidone on the acquisition and performance of tasks of spatial working and short-term memory and sustained attention in rats. Hutchings EJ, Waller JL, Terry AV Jr. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013 Dec;347(3):547-56. doi: 10.1124/jpet.113.209031. Epub 2013 Sep 16. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24042161
- Both mutated and unmutated memory B cells accumulate mutations in the course of the secondary response and develop a new antibody repertoire optimally adapted to the secondary stimulus. Kaji T, Furukawa K, Ishige A, Toyokura I, Nomura M, Okada M, Takahashi Y, Shimoda M, Takemori T. Int Immunol. 2013 Dec;25(12):683-95. doi: 10.1093/intimm/dxt030. Epub 2013 Sep 10. >> Go to Abstract: PMID:24021876
- Transporters and receptors for short-chain fatty acids as the molecular link between colonic bacteria and the host. Ganapathy V, Thangaraju M, Prasad PD, Martin PM, Singh N. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2013 Dec;13(6):869-74. doi: 10.1016/j.coph.2013.08.006. Epub 2013 Aug 23. >> Go to Abstract: PMID: 23978504
- Recurrent adult choroid plexus carcinoma treated with high-dose chemotherapy and syngeneic stem cell (bone marrow) transplant. Samuel TA, Parikh J, Sharma S, Giller CA, Sterling K, Kapoor S, Pirkle C, Jillella A. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2013 Dec;74 Suppl 1:e149-54. doi: 10.1055/s-0032-1333419. Epub 2013 Feb 20. >> Go to Abstract: PMID: 23427033