Cancer Awareness Month
|We Asked a Nurse|
|In recognition of National Nurses Month, CC:Report is proud to present the first installment of a new regular feature. Every month we will highlight a nurse working at the the GRU Cancer Center, focusing not only the things they do for our patients and their families, but their own interests as well. Read more…
|Art in Science|
|The GRU Cancer Center is accepting submissions to its Art in Science Collection. Read more…
Cancer Campaign Wins Silver
|Georgia Regents Health recently won the Silver Astor Award for its Cancer outdoor marketing campaign. Read more…|
|Not a week goes by that disparity is not an issue
“In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties.”— Henri Frederic Amiel
Every year, the issue of cancer disparity is addressed during National Minority Cancer Week. Established in 1987 with a U.S. House of Representatives House Resolution, the week was set aside to recognize and address cancer’s “…disproportionately severe impact on minorities and the economically disadvantaged.”
And so, for one week, it is addressed in the media. There are websites and fundraisers. The stats are rolled out and examined.
And then, quite often, people move on to the next thing.
At the GRU Cancer Center, we don’t have a National Minority Cancer Week.
We have 52 of them.
This issue, both locally and nationally, is so vitally important that addressing it needs to be a full-time job. It’s not something that can be fixed in a week. It’s something that requires constant and consistent focus. While we should all appreciate the attention something like National Minority Cancer Week brings to significant issues, it’s also important that our work on decoding disparity issues continues year around.
Have you Heard…?
- New Intramural Award Opportunity
The Cancer Centers from Georgia Regents University and the University of Georgia hosted a retreat on November 1, 2013 focused on Cancer Biomarkers and Therapeutics.A main objective of this retreat was to develop complementary and synergistic cancer research within the Cancer Biomarker and Therapeutics theme through collaborative projects between members of the two University System of Georgia institutions. >> Continue reading
- Relay Recap
On May 2, the GRU Cancer Center participated as a presenting sponsor in the American Cancer Society’s Augusta Relay for Life at Westside High School. >> Continue reading
- NIH Policy Change for R01 Resubmissions
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) … announces a change in policy on application submissions. Effective immediately, for application due dates after April 16, 2014, following an unsuccessful resubmission (A1) application, applicants may submit the same idea as a new (A0) application for the next appropriate due date… >> Continue reading
- Employee Picnic
In appreciation for the extraordinary work of everyone here, the GRU Cancer Center will be hosting an employee picnic June 5th outside on the lawn of the Research building (CN). >> Continue reading
- Deciphering breast cancer metastasis
Researchers at the GRU Cancer Center have identified new molecular players and potential biomarkers in breast cancer tumorigenesis. A process known as epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) represents changes in cancer cell characteristics that accompany metastatic progression. Epithelial-like cancer cells express different molecular constituents than do mesenchymal-like cells. >> Continue reading
- John K. Cowell, PhD, received a 5-year, $1.4M R01 grant from NIH/NCI for “Genetic analysis of myeloproliferative disease.”The major goals of this project are to (1) define the genetic changes associated with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) development associated with myeloproliferative disease, (2) determine why the BCR-FGFR1 fusion gene produces a more aggressive incurable disease, and (3) use a proteomics approach to define targets of the fusion kinases in the development of AML.
Newly Activated Clinical Trials
- Daron Ferris, MD, received $141K from Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp./Merck for “A Phase III Clinical Trial to Study the Tolerability and Immunogenicity of a 2-dose regimen of V503, a Multivalent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) L1 Virus-Like Particle (VLP) Vaccine, administered in Preadolescents and Adolescents (9 to 14 year olds) with a Comparison to Young Women (16 to 26 year olds).”
- Jeremy Pantin, MD, received $186K from Esanex, Inc., for “A Phase 1, Open-label, Dose-escalation Study of the Safety of SNX-5422 in Subjects with Refractory Hematological Malignancies.”
- Paul A, Garcia YA, Zierer B, Patwardhan C, Gutierrez O, Hildenbrand Z, Harris DC, Balsiger HA, Sivils JC, Johnson JL, Buchner J, Chadli A, Cox MB. The Cochaperone SGTA (Small Glutamine-Rich Tetratricopeptide Repeat-Containing Protein Alpha) Demonstrates Regulatory Specificity for the Androgen, Glucocorticoid and Progesterone Receptors. J Biol Chem. 2014 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Merchen TD, Boesen EI, Gardner JR, Harbarger R, Kitamura E, Mellor A, Pollock DM, Ghaffari A, Podolsky R, Nahman NS Jr. Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase inhibition alters the non-coding RNA transcriptome following renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Transpl Immunol. 2014 Apr 18. pii: S0966-3274(14)00026-4. doi: 10.1016/j.trim.2014.04.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hong S, Noh H, Teng Y, Shao J, Rehmani H, Ding HF, Dong Z, Su SB, Shi H, Kim J, Huang S. SHOX2 Is a Direct miR-375 Target and a Novel Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition Inducer in Breast Cancer Cells. Neoplasia. 2014 Apr 16. pii: S1476-5586(14)00029-3. doi: 10.1016/j.neo.2014.03.010. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ezeakile M, Portik-Dobos V, Wu J, Horuzsko DD, Kapoor R, Jagadeesan M, Mulloy LL, Horuzsko A. HLA-G Dimers in the Prolongation of Kidney Allograft Survival. J Immunol Res. 2014;2014:153981. doi: 10.1155/2014/153981. Epub 2014 Mar 30.
- El Refaey M, Zhong Q, Hill WD, Shi XM, Hamrick MW, Bailey L, Johnson M, Xu J, Bollag WB, Chutkan N, Isales CM. Aromatic amino Acid activation of signaling pathways in bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells depends on oxygen tension. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 11;9(4):e91108. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091108. eCollection 2014.
- Ranganathan P, Jayakumar C, Li DY, Ramesh G. UNC5B receptor deletion exacerbates DSS-induced colitis in mice by increasing epithelial cell apoptosis. J Cell Mol Med. 2014 Apr 10. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.12280. [Epub ahead of print]
- Einstein MH, Smith KM, Davis TE, Schmeler KM, Ferris DG, Savage AH, Gray JE, Stoler MH, Wright TC Jr, Ferenczy A, Castle PE. Clinical Evaluation of the Cartridge-Based GeneXpert Human Papillomavirus Assay in Women Referred for Colposcopy. J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Apr 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Olala LO, Choudhary V, Johnson M, Bollag WB. Angiotensin II-Induced Protein Kinase D Activates the ATF/CREB Family of Transcription Factors and Promotes StAR mRNA Expression. Endocrinology. 2014 Apr 7:en20131485. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sage LK, Fox JM, Mellor AL, Tompkins SM, Tripp RA. Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase (IDO) Activity During the Primary Immune Response to Influenza Infection Modifies the Memory T Cell Response to Influenza Challenge. Viral Immunol. 2014 Apr;27(3):112-23. doi: 10.1089/vim.2013.0105. Epub 2014 Apr 4.
- Zhang D, Liu Y, Wei Q, Huo Y, Liu K, Liu F, Dong Z. Tubular p53 Regulates Multiple Genes to Mediate AKI. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Xu Y, An X, Guo X, Habtetsion TG, Wang Y, Xu X, Kandala S, Li Q, Li H, Zhang C, Caldwell RB, Fulton DJ, Su Y, Hoda MN, Zhou G, Wu C, Huo Y. Endothelial 6-Phosphofructo-2-Kinase/Fructose-2, 6-Bisphosphatase, Isoform 3 Plays a Critical Role in Angiogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shen C, Xiong WC, Mei L. Caspase-3, shears for synapse pruning. Dev Cell. 2014 Mar 31;28(6):604-6. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2014.03.010.
- He Q, Wang G, Wakade S, Dasgupta S, Dinkins M, Kong JN, Spassieva SD, Bieberich E. Primary cilia in stem cells and neural progenitors are regulated by neutral sphingomyelinase 2 and ceramide. Mol Biol Cell. 2014 Apr 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kong FM, Zhao J, Wang J, Faivre-Finn C. Radiation dose effect in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis. 2014 Apr;6(4):336-347. Review.
- Duke WS, White JR, Waller JL, Terris DJ. Endoscopic Thyroidectomy is Safe in Patients with a High Body Mass Index. Thyroid. 2014 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reid ME, El Beshlawy A, Inati A, Kutlar A, Abboud MR, Haynes J Jr, Ward R, Sharon B, Taher AT, Smith W, Manwani D, Ghalie RG. A double-blind, placebo-controlled phase II study of the efficacy and safety of 2,2-dimethylbutyrate (HQK-1001), an oral fetal globin inducer, in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2014 Mar 28. doi: 10.1002/ajh.23725. [Epub ahead of print]
- Coss-Adame E, Rao SS. Brain and gut interactions in irritable bowel syndrome: new paradigms and new understandings. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2014 Apr;16(4):379. doi: 10.1007/s11894-014-0379-z.
- Kutlar A, Embury SH. Cellular adhesion and the endothelium: P-selectin. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2014 Apr;28(2):323-39. doi: 10.1016/j.hoc.2013.11.007. Epub 2014 Jan 17.
- Perrine SP, Pace BS, Faller DV. Targeted fetal hemoglobin induction for treatment of beta hemoglobinopathies. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2014 Apr;28(2):233-48. doi: 10.1016/j.hoc.2013.11.009.
- Lee YY, Yu S, Khurana S, Rao SS. Dietary fiber and risk of inflammatory bowel disease: fact or hype? Gastroenterology. 2014 Apr;146(4):1133-4. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.12.043. Epub 2014 Feb 24. No abstract available.
- Wei S, Wang H, Lu C, Malmut S, Zhang J, Ren S, Yu G, Wang W, Tang DD, Yan C. The Activating Transcription Factor 3 Protein Suppresses the Oncogenic Function of Mutant p53 Proteins. J Biol Chem. 2014 Mar 28;289(13):8947-59. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M113.503755. Epub 2014 Feb 19.
- Zhu J, Shang Y, Wan Q, Xia Y, Chen J, Du Q, Zhang M. Phosphorylation-dependent interaction between tumor suppressors Dlg and Lgl. Cell Res. 2014 Apr;24(4):451-63. doi: 10.1038/cr.2014.16. Epub 2014 Feb 11.
- Jayakumar C, Nauta FL, Bakker SJ, Bilo H, Gansevoort RT, Johnson MH, Ramesh G. Netrin-1, a urinary proximal tubular injury marker, is elevated early in the time course of human diabetes. J Nephrol. 2014 Apr;27(2):151-7. doi: 10.1007/s40620-014-0055-2. Epub 2014 Feb 8.
- Ha Y, Shanmugam AK, Markand S, Zorrilla E, Ganapathy V, Smith SB. Sigma receptor 1 modulates ER stress and Bcl2 in murine retina. Cell Tissue Res. 2014 Apr;356(1):15-27. doi: 10.1007/s00441-013-1774-8. Epub 2014 Jan 28.
- Ananth S, Gnana-Prakasam JP, Bhutia YD, Veeranan-Karmegam R, Martin PM, Smith SB, Ganapathy V. Regulation of the cholesterol efflux transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 in retina in hemochromatosis and by the endogenous siderophore 2,5-dihydroxybenzoic acid. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Apr;1842(4):603-12. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2014.01.010. Epub 2014 Jan 23.
- Van Rompaey J, Bush C, Solares CA. Anatomic analysis specific for the endoscopic approach to the inferior, medial and lateral orbit. Orbit. 2014 Apr;33(2):115-23. doi: 10.3109/01676830.2013.859277. Epub 2013 Dec 19.
- Cassuto J, Dou H, Czikora I, Szabo A, Patel VS, Kamath V, Belin de Chantemele E, Feher A, Romero MJ, Bagi Z. Peroxynitrite disrupts endothelial caveolae leading to eNOS uncoupling and diminished flow-mediated dilation in coronary arterioles of diabetic patients. Diabetes. 2014 Apr;63(4):1381-93. doi: 10.2337/db13-0577. Epub 2013 Dec 18.
- Griffin KL, Fischer BM, Kummarapurugu AB, Zheng S, Kennedy TP, Rao NV, Foster WM, Voynow JA. 2-O, 3-O-Desulfated Heparin Inhibits Neutrophil Elastase-Induced HMGB-1 Secretion and Airway Inflammation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014 Apr;50(4):684-9. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2013-0338RC.
- Hawkins CM, Duszak R, Rawson JV. Social Media in Radiology: Early Trends in Twitter Microblogging at Radiology’s Largest International Meeting. J Am Coll Radiol. 2014 Apr;11(4):387-90. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2013.07.015. Epub 2013 Oct 17.
- Hong Y, Peng Y, Guo ZS, Guevara-Patino J, Pang J, Butterfield LH, Mivechi NF, Munn DH, Bartlett DL, He Y. Epitope-optimized alpha-fetoprotein genetic vaccines prevent carcinogen-induced murine autochthonous hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2014 Apr;59(4):1448-58. doi: 10.1002/hep.26893. Epub 2014 Feb 18.
- Rao SS, Quigley EM, Shiff SJ, Lavins BJ, Kurtz CB, Macdougall JE, Currie MG, Johnston JM. Effect of linaclotide on severe abdominal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Apr;12(4):616-23. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2013.09.022. Epub 2013 Sep 25.
- Van Rompaey J, Suruliraj A, Carrau R, Panizza B, Solares CA. Meckel’s cave access: anatomic study comparing the endoscopic transantral and endonasal approaches. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014 Apr;271(4):787-94. doi: 10.1007/s00405-013-2581-2. Epub 2013 Jun 15.